Fireplaces continue to be a highly coveted feature by homebuyers. NAHB is just the latest to rank fireplaces as a top home amenity for homebuyers when they ranked fireplaces as a top ten home amenity and outdoor feature in their 2019 What Homebuyers Really Want study. While Smith-Dahmer found that 97% of homebuyers are open to fireplaces and 68% see fireplaces as a must-have in their new home research.
In many ways, current homebuyers desire fireplaces more for their ability to anchor a space and its design, as well as, their ability to create an inviting gathering space for family and friends, rather than for their supplemental heating attributes. Fireplaces quite simply make a house a home for many of today’s homebuyers, and this desire aligns with many of today’s current trends.
- Smart Home – Today’s fireplaces must integrate with apps, smart speakers, and other connected home technologies. Heat & Glo and Heatilator fireplaces both offer wi-fi based smart control systems that allow their fireplaces to be controlled from almost anywhere or at the sound of your voice.
- Heat Management – Passive and mechanical heat management systems are available to provide the ambiance homebuyers desire and the design flexibility builders demand for the optimal homebuyer experience.
- Electric – Electrification in building continues to grow as we all focus on minimizing our carbon footprint. Electric fireplaces provide a stunning and versatile solution that can be used almost anywhere in a home to deliver warmth, ambiance, and style.
- Outdoor – outdoor spaces continue to flourish. Gone are the days of a simple deck. Homebuyers are looking for elevated outdoor spaces that offer premium features like outdoor kitchens, fireplaces, and comfortable furniture.
- Transitional Design – The classics meet the 21st century. Transitional design is everywhere, and homes are no exception. Homebuyers want fireplaces, white cabinetry, and hardwood floors that embody their nostalgic ideal of a home, but they also want the modern flare, materials, and convenience in products such as linear fireplaces with smart controls.